James Hoop Dickey

No. 4396 Class of 1905. Colonel Dickey had charge of liaison between 69th Inf. Bde. and Division, and through his courage and coolness he was able to keep the detachment together. He was wounded by a fragment of a shell which struck him just below the right shoulder, and died from wounds received September’ 27, 1918, in the Battle of the Meuse-Argonne. Aged 35 ‘years.


Howitzer – GO TO PAGE 54


Assignment upon Graduation to 4th Cavalry


Buried at the Commune of Chateau de Salvange, Froides (Meuse).

James Hoop Dickey was born in Greenup, Kentucky, April 19th, 1883; entered the Military Academy June 11, 1901, and was graduated June 13, 1905, when he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant and assigned to the 4th U. S. Cavalry. Before joining his regiment he was ordered to the Mounted Service School at Fort Riley, to take a course of instruction, upon the completion of which he joined his regiment which was stationed in the Philippines. .
He returned to the United States with the 4th Cavalry in November, 1907, and was stationed at Fort Meade, S. D., until March, 1911. During this period he was ordered back to the Mounted School for a Post Graduate Course, which he completed in 1910. From March, 1911, to October, 1911, he served with the 4th Cavalry on the Mexican

On October 26, 1911, he was promoted to First Lieutenant and assigned to the 15th Cavalry, with station at Fort Meyer, Virginia, and later at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. He transferred to the 8th Cavalry on February 1st, 1914, and was’ transferred back to the 15th Cavalry on. August 15, 1915, joining that regiment in the Philippine Islands. In 1916 he was promoted to Captain and assigned to the 8th Cavalry. During the Punitive Expedition he was on duty at Douglas, Arizona, and El Paso, Texas, as District Bakery Officer. He was later detailed in the Quartermaster Corps and assigned to duty as Department Bakery Officer of the Southern Department. On August 5, 1917, he was appointed temporary Major of Cavalry, remaining on the same duty.

It was while on this duty and after a state of war had been declared to exist between the United States and Germany, that he rendered to this country a most important duty and showed himself to be an officer of unusual executive and administrative ability, by organizing from scant-trained material, bakery companies to furnish bread for that part of our army organized and stationed in the Southern Department. In addition he was in charge of the Schools for Bakers and Cooks in the Southern Department, in which capacity it became his duty to organize cooking departments to prepare food for the thousands of draft men sent in to the camps of the Southern Department.

His ability in this particular work was so clearly demonstrated that in October, 1917, he was ordered to Washington as Assistant Officer in charge of Bakery Companies and Schools for Bakers and Cooks of all Military Departments of the United States. He remained on this duty until Jan. 26, 1918, when he was relieved at his own request, and ordered to join the 6th Cavalry, which regiment was under orders for overseas duty. He accompanied that regiment to France, but remained with it for a short period only after arrival overseas.

Being anxious to get to the front, he secured a detail as Brigade Adjutant of the 69th Infantry Brigade. He was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of Infantry, U. S. A., September 9, 1918.

On the morning of September 26th, the 35th Division went forward in the offensive launched against the enemy on that date, known as the Meuse-Argonne offensive. The 69th Infantry Brigade led the attack. Colonel Dickey had charge of liaison between Headquarters, 69th Infantry Brigade and Headquarters, 35th Division, and through his courage and coolness he was able to keep the detachment together. He was wounded by a fragment of a shell which struck him just below the right shoulder, and died from shock and loss of blood on the evening of September 27th. From the very start of the battle and during the periods the 35th Division occupied sectors in the Vosges mountains, he was always in the lead and was very indifferent to danger. It was said of him that no braver man ever set foot on the soil of France and no officer was better liked and revered by his men.

Previous to September 27th, Colonel Dickey had received orders to report to a school in the Service of Supplies, but at his own request he was permitted to remain with Brigade Headquarters for the period of the drive.

Colonel Dickey was a man of unusual ability, possessed of a keen and active brain, a high sense of humor and a generosity toward his brother officers and friends which endeared him to all who knew him.


American Legion



Graduate Listing




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s